I’ve been a fan of Xamarin for a while now, and since their acquisition by Microsoft I wanted to test out the new version, embedded (for free to boot) into Visual Studio. Microsoft have been so generous lately that I can’t help feel a strange mixture of suspicion and guilt.
The holiday break was rather dramatic for Salvage. We took a couple of weeks off, sure, but as I suspect isn’t that unusual we spent that time stewing over some pretty big decisions about the direction of the game design. The result is design heartbreak, reduced project scope and a fair bit of progress on the encounter gameplay.
It’s been quite a long time since our last update, but we’ve made a lot of progress.
Since our most recent gameplay video showing a prototype of a Campaign/Encounter pairing, Hong and I have been hard at work for a couple of months developing new character art, entirely new environment tilesets, and have effectively rebooted the project’s codebase.
Now that we’ve been working pretty much full time on Salvage for just over two months, my long-held and absolutely foolish belief that it’s better to delay sharing progress until the game is at a reasonably presentable alpha state is starting to seem like a serious psychological concern. So, while I retain the right to ramble at length about the past few months’ work in future, I thought I’d write a quick update on what we’ve been working on. Continue Reading…
In an effort to break both our absurdly lethargic posting pattern and the grind/desperation of working full-time on our first-ever commercial game project, Salvage, Hong and I decided to take a lesson from the hip indie devs of recent years and hold a weekend long house game jam. The goal was simple: brainstorm Friday night, begin work Saturday morning, playtest the build with some friends on Sunday evening.
It’s been quite a while since the last post, where I detailed a simple method for creating a procedural but orderly cluster of connected rooms. The next logical step was to weave corridors between them, in as stylish a manner possible, ideally including some branches or diversions so that some exploration was encouraged.
It was clear from the outset that Struggle would need a procedural level generation system; in fact I must confess I’ve been positively giddy with the anticipation of writing this system.
Struggle is a game project we’re currently moonlighting the development of. It’s a turn-based strategy game that pairs a procedurally generated campaign with similarly generated encounters. It’s being built in Unity, with myself filling the roles of game design, programming and feature-creeper, while Hong will be busying herself with all art, animation and effects.